Reading Time: 2 minutes
Before you take off on your next vacation, it’s important to make sure your home is prepared and organized. Whether you’re going out of town for a few weeks or only a few days, there are certain steps you can take to ensure a welcomed return. The tips highlighted below should be important elements of your vacation checklist for home safety and organization. Following each one will help you make a smooth transition back into the daily grind upon your return home.
Preparing Your Home for Vacation
- Clean out the refrigerator: Check the expiration date on all perishable food items and throw away anything that could go bad while you’re on vacation. This will avoid any foul odors emanating from your kitchen or home while you’re away.
- Make a plan for your plants: Talk with a friend, relative or neighbor about stopping by to water your plants and flowers around your house while you’re gone. People stopping by your home will help increase security while keeping your plants growing strong in the process.
- Leave a light on: Leave a light on in the front of your home. There are also cost-effective timers you could purchase at a local hardware store to help schedule the light to be turned on or off periodically to demonstrate activity within your home.
- Unplug unnecessary appliances: There is no need to leave your toaster, flat iron or alarm clock plugged in while you’re away. Minimize any potential issues and keep the electrical bill as low as possible by unplugging these items before you leave for vacation.
- Turn off the A/C and turn down the Furnace: If you’re leaving in the summertime, turn off your air conditioner to avoid unnecessary energy costs. You can also turn down your furnace in the winter while making sure to keep it only warm enough to prevent water pipes from freezing.
- Hold your mail: Stop by the post office and ask them to hold your mail while you’re away. Holding your mail will help you avoid a pile of unopened packages sitting outside of your home, which will help increase home safety while on vacation.
- Clean before you leave: You will likely be tired from traveling when you return, and also accompanied by laundry that needs to be washed and organized. To prepare for your return, it’s important to clean your home before you leave on vacation to help keep it organized. Wipe down the counters, sweep the floors and put everything away to avoid clutter before you leave for your trip.
- Ask a neighbor to stop by: If you’ve successfully recruited a friend or neighbor to stop by and water your plants, it might be a good idea to have them take a quick walk through your home if you’ll be gone for an extend period of time. This way, if any major leaks or other issues have arisen, you can find out about them sooner than later and call the appropriate repair technicians.
If you need to store any larger items while you’re away on vacation, consider ezStorage for all your household storage needs. We offer a variety of storage units throughout the Baltimore, Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. areas. Stop by to talk with our friendly staff at the location nearest you, and learn more about our safe and secure storage features.