Moving can be an extremely stressful time from scheduling a moving company, turning off and setting up utilities, fixing up your new home or finding a new school or doctors in your new area. There are many aspects of the move that can be planned in advance. If planned properly, some of the stress of the move can be relieved. One of the biggest “headaches” in moving is choosing a good moving company. There are many factors to keep in mind when looking for a reliable moving company. The list of tips below will help you when you need to hire a moving company.
1. Start planning for your move as early as possible. Moving companies are very busy during the summer months starting at the end of the school year to mid-September. (This is also the busiest season for ezStorage.) Try to start contacting a moving company at least a 6-8 week notice before you need to move. Moving companies are also very busy at the end of each month. If you are able to be more flexible in your move date and time, the easier it will be to schedule your moving company.
2. Get recommendations on moving companies from friends, family and co-workers. Also, check online sites like The Better Business Bureau and Angie’s List for recommendations and ratings of moving companies.
3. Check out the moving company’s website for the following information: local address and phone number, licensing information, accreditation and affiliations (such as American Moving and Storage Association). The company should have their Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration license prominently posted on the website (and on their trucks).
4. If you are moving across the state or country, make sure that the moving company has cargo insurance.
5. Get in-home estimates from a least a few different moving companies. Do NOT do an online reservation with a moving company without speaking to a representative in-person. Companies that only give quotes over the phone or online, but not in person, could be “shady”. Working with them, could cost you more money in the long run.
6. Have a list of questions that you want to ask the moving company. Make sure that they answer the questions in writing and keep that copy for reference later, if needed. Ask for a copy of the price quote in writing from the moving company.
7. A reputable moving company will always give you a “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move” pamphlet. This is a federally mandated regulation for people who are moving out of the state. If you don’t receive a copy of this from your moving company, then they might not be a good moving company.
8. On moving day, make sure you have specific instructions for the movers. Label boxes with the contents and the rooms that they go in. Also, have boxes labeled for “load first” or “last on truck, first in new home” for items that you might need right away in the truck. Stay away from “rogue” moving companies that do not have information about their business on their website or only offer quotes over the phone or online.
If you do your homework for a good moving company before you move, then the actual moving day can be less stressful. If you are looking for packing or moving supplies, ezStorage has a variety of box sizes and other supplies to help you pack for your move.