Reading Time: 2 minutes
For a classic Washington DC Thanksgiving in 2016, check out these holiday happenings close to home in the DC area.
Parades for Washington DC Thanksgiving 2016
While you can’t catch a Thanksgiving parade in Washington DC, you have a couple of great options nearby. Silver Spring, Maryland celebrates Thanksgiving with a parade on Saturday, November 19th. Featuring 50-foot balloons, floats, bands (including the Washington Redskins Marching Band), mounted police, fire engines, and many other groups, the parade is quite the set of sights and sounds for young and old alike. Jolly old Saint Nick even makes an appearance! Then, on Friday, November 25th, plan for a full day of activities at Reston Town Center. In addition to the parade which includes giant balloons, dancers, musical groups, and other entertainment, even more festive fun awaits with horse-drawn carriage rides, a tree lighting, and yet another visit from Santa.
Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving in DC 2016
Turkey Trots are a growing tradition on Thanksgiving, and Washington DC has one on Thursday, November 24th at 8:30 am. We shared information about SOME (So Others Might Eat) in our piece on Washington DC charities, and they are sponsoring a 5K fun run and family walk to benefit the homeless and hungry.
Holiday Celebrations After Thanksgiving in DC
As we move beyond Thanksgiving, a variety of winter and Christmas activities are scheduled including:
- Gaylord National Resort’s ICE – This special holiday event returns in 2016 with the new theme Christmas Around the World . It showcases holiday traditions from a variety of nations and offers attractions including a Christmas town square, Santa’s sleigh, a carousel ride and more.
- ZooLights at the National Zoo – From November 25th through January 1st, The National Zoo offers an impressive experience with thousands of sparkling animated lights, indoor animal exhibits, a model train display and live entertainment featuring musical performances and more. Admission for this event is free.
- Parade of Lighted Boats – On December 3rd beginning at 6 pm, the Potomac River comes alive with lighted pleasure boats. The route begins at Alexandria’s waterfront and proceeds to Washington’s Channel.
- Mount Vernon Candlelight Tours – Martha Washington welcomes you with a Mansion tour and invites you to join in the Christmas revelry with candlelit walks, fireside caroling, and complimentary hot cider and cookies.
- Holiday Tree Lightings – November 26th provides you with a couple of opportunities to observe a holiday tree lighting in the DC area. City Market at O’s activities last from 1-5 pm with live performances, face painting, local food and holiday photos all culminating in the lighting ceremony at 5pm. CityCenterDC ’s event takes place at 6pm featuring a joyful holiday concert, balloon artists and more as they light the 75-foot Christmas tree.
However you choose to celebrate the holidays this year, ezStorage wishes you all a safe and happy Thanksgiving!