Reading Time: 3 minutes
An estimated 43 million people a year move for reasons including work relocation, military or government relocations and personal reasons. According to the 2014 report from My Moving Reviews , May through August are the busiest months for moving with August 1st actually being the busiest moving day. With most people moving during the summer, it has become the busiest season for moving companies, rental truck companies and the self storage industry! As people are moving, downsizing homes, or even just starting out in a first apartment, they are using self storage to store their belongings on a temporary basis or store for a longer period of time for items they have no room for but still want and need to keep.
Top Ten Moving and Packing Tips
Moving can be very stressful at any time of the year, but it is especially so during the busy summer moving months. If you plan and prepare ahead of time, you can be ready for your moving day. There are many tasks that you don’t think about moving, but they are vital to making things go smoothly. Below are ten great moving and packing tips that will help make your moving day a bit less stressful:
- Start planning as soon as possible. Create a moving calendar to keep organized. This will include the date that you want to move, dates to hire a moving company or rent a moving truck, reminders to turn off utilities in old home and turn them on in the new home, schedule your self storage unit, and when to send out change of address notifications. All of these are important things to remember when you are moving.
- Create a moving budget. This would include costs for a moving company, rental truck, hotel rooms, self storage, down payments for utilities, and pet boarding. Try to include extra money in the budget for any emergencies.
- If you are hiring a moving company, then get at least 3 in-person estimates before you decide which company to use. Make sure that the moving company is accredited and insured. Read the contract to make sure that there are no “hidden costs” that will be charged on the day of your move.
- Make sure that you have all of the proper moving and packing supplies including sturdy boxes, packaging materials, packing tape and markers.
- Label every box with the contents of the box and also what room that it will be going to. If the box is going to a storage unit, mark it accordingly. Keep an inventory list of the items that are being moved.
- There are many great tips for moving electronics and appliances. One tip is to take a photo of the back of the electronic items in order to know where the wires are attached. Defrost and clean out refrigerators at least one day before moving. Clean other appliances according to their manufacturer instructions.
- When taking apart tables and beds, keep the screws, nuts and bolts in a labeled clear plastic bag attached to the furniture.
- Utilize decorative boxes, baskets and suitcases for packing and moving items. When moving hanging clothing, cover the clothing with a garbage bag for transport and then remove when at the new home.
- Pack an overnight bag containing essential items including a change of clothes, toiletries, phone chargers and your laptop. Also, include at least one box of “must needs”. This would include paper towels, garbage bags, box cutters, eating utensils, power strips and tools to put your furniture back together. Label this box as “First off of truck”.
- A good moving day tip is to keep your box inventory handy. Be available to the movers on moving day and inventory all furniture and boxes coming into and out of the house. Inspect all moved items for damage or broken pieces. Do not sign off on final approval by the moving company until you have inspected your items.
Good Luck with your summer moving! ezStorage has 49 locations in the Baltimore, Northern Virginia and Washington D.C. areas to help with all of your storage needs!