Reading Time: 2 minutes
Military personnel love to receive packages from their loved ones. When putting together a care package for military overseas, you are likely looking to send over both sentimental and useful items. In this post, we’ll help you put together a care package that your soldier will love.
How to Send Military Care Packages for Free
Before getting your care package together, you need to get shipping supplies. The United States Post Office offers a free Military Care Kit. Each kit contains:
- 2 Priority Mail APO/FPO Flat Rate Boxes
- 2 Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Boxes
- Priority Mail tape
- Priority Mail address labels
- Necessary customs forms
The phone number to order the kit is: 800-610-8734.
What to Send in Your Solider Care Packages
- Pictures: Give your service member a little piece of home by sending them updated pictures of their loved ones. This help to make them feel included in the big events taking place at home.
- Food and Drinks: Send your serviceman or woman some of their favorite food or drink items to enjoy and share. Any powdered drink mixes such as hot cocoa, coffee or an electrolyte drink will be very welcome. Military personnel will also enjoy meal enhancers that can easily be mixed with MREs like hot sauce, seasoning packets and condiment packets.
- Entertainment: While you likely sent over some entertainment with your service member when they were just deployed, they may need a refresh. Send them books, puzzles, new ear buds, gift cards to buy music and DVDs.
- Include Any Necessary Items: Soldier overseas will have access to toiletries and other necessary items, but it might not be their favorite brands. Send them items like their favorite body wash, shampoo, soaps and lip balm.
- Personal Item: Just like you are missing your serviceman or woman, they are also missing you. Send them artwork drawn by your kids, a small scrapbook or homemade goodies. When packing homemade items, it is important to pack them in an airtight container.
Army Care Package Restrictions
There are a few items you should refrain from sending in your care package. Alcohol, fresh fruit or vegetables, plants, lithium batteries and flammable items are prohibited by postal regulations from being sent in a care package. Additionally, when sending your soldier a care package it is important to keep in mind cultural and country prohibitions. Depending on where the solider is stationed, sending items like cigarettes, coffee and pork products are prohibited.
ezStorage Has Military Storage Solutions
ezStorage is proud to support our military personnel overseas. We have climate controlled storage units in the Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC area, near Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling, Fort Lesley J. McNair and the Marine Barracks. Contact us to learn more about a self storage unit rental today.