Reading Time: 2 minutes
We are a collecting culture from coins and trading cards to toys and music (on CD or vinyl albums) to family heirlooms, we have it all in our homes. Some people have rooms dedicated to their collections, such as a toy train set-up in a basement or toy collections set up in a bedroom. These collections can end up taking over our homes if they are not properly displayed or organized. Keeping the collections organized is key to keeping your home clutter free. But, doing this can be hard depending on the type of collections that you have and which room you store them in. If you don’t have enough room in your home to properly display or store you collections, but you do not want to get rid of them, then think about renting a storage unit. ezStorage has a variety of storage unit sizes to fit your storage needs. Most ezStorage facilities also offer climate controlled storage units that would be a great place to store comic books, vinyl records or toy collections to protect them from the extreme changes in temperature and humidity. If you are displaying your collection at your home, then it is important to know how to properly organize and display them. The important thing to remember is not to be overwhelmed and keep a goal in mind.
- Create a plan on how you want to see your collection displayed. If you are a toy collector, do you want to have the toys opened and in dioramas or just lined up on a shelf? Do you want to protect your investment in your comic book collection or have them just sitting on a shelf?
- Categorize your collection. For example: have all of your “Star Wars” toys together (separated into the different movies, of course), but keep them in their own area away from the “Star Trek” figures. Keep your toy collection separate from your album or video collection. For music collections, create your own system, so you will know where to find the CD or album when you need it. Do you sort by genre and then by artist and year recorded or just store the artist together alphabetically?
- Invest in accessories to display your collections such as shelving units, stands, risers or glass cabinets. If you are collecting coins or trading cards, invest in the correct storage albums to keep the collection protected. Investigate different DIY ideas to store children’s toys such as toy hammocks to hang from the walls in their bedroom or building specialized storage just for stuffed animals.
- For organizing children’s toys, make sure that they are part of the toy storage solution discussions. Have them help you sort through the toys to decide what to keep, donate or throw away. Keep their favorite toys within reach. It is okay to store favorite stuffed animals on a bed, but it isn’t good when the stuffed animals actually cover the entire bed!
- Mix and match different types of media in your collection, such as posters or comic books, but still keep them within their category. For example: display action figures on a shelf with their comic book origins.
- Track your collection. This is especially important for vinyl albums, specialty toys or trading cards collections. Create a database or a spreadsheet of your collection that you can use as a reference so you do not get duplicates or forget what you currently have. This can also be quite handy for insurance purposes.