Self storage units are available in a wide range of sizes. So what size best fits your needs? To answer that, take an inventory of all the items you plan to store. Also, think about your future needs. Is it likely you will be adding items to your unit later on? If so, add those items to your list to be sure that your space will accommodate those items now and in the future.
Once you have determined what will fill your storage space, it's time to consider their sizes and weights. Some items can stack atop each other, while others may be too heavy or awkward in shape, requiring their own spot. One way to help determine how much space you need is by actually packing your belongings and stacking them together. Try using different containers or boxes to figure out the most efficient way to store everything. Once you find what works best, take a tape measure to see how much space you need.
Depending on how long you plan to store, it may be important to provide space for ventilation and access. When storing belongings for short periods of time, it's usually okay to pack them closer together. However, when storing belongings for longer periods of time, providing additional space for ventilation and easy access may be important. Also, for belongings that you may need to access regularly, consider leaving enough space in your unit for an aisle. Then, be sure to arrange those belongings along the aisle for easy access. This avoids having to temporarily move things out of your unit to get to that item you need now!
Sample Storage Unit Sizes (see the ezStorage size guide)
- 5' x 5' - ideal for personal items, clothes, boxes, skis, children's toys, small furniture, business records or sales rep materials.
- 5' x 10' - store small amounts of furniture, sofas, chairs, chest of drawers, box spring and mattress, business supplies and records, plus other small items and boxes.
- 7.5' x 10' - store small amounts of furniture, sofas, chairs, chest of drawers, box spring and mattress, business supplies and records, plus other small items and boxes.
- 10' x 10' - can hold the contents of a one-bedroom apartment with major appliances, furniture and boxed items and supplies.
- 10' x 15' - can hold the contents of a two-bedroom apartment or home, including appliances, boxes, furniture and boxed items and supplies.
- 10' x 20' - can hold the contents of a three-bedroom apartment or home, including appliances, boxes, furniture and boxed items and supplies. These storage units are also ideal for commercial inventory and storage racks.
- 10' x 30' - can hold the contents of a four- to five-bedroom home, including appliances, boxes, furniture and boxed items and supplies. These storage units are also ideal for commercial and equipment storage.
Determining the right size storage unit for your needs will prove to be your best value. Before making a final decision, visit the facility and ask to see a unit which is the same size as the one you plan to rent. A reputable storage facility will have staff that are trained and experienced in helping you determine the proper storage space.
Some of the more sophisticated self storage operators offer online interactive size guides which provide an on screen graphic of the capacity of various unit sizes. These are great tools but still, nothing beats a tour of the self storage facility and a visual inspection of unit sizes and the cleanliness of those units. Look inside before you rent! It's important!