If it’s time to take your grandfather clock out of storage, we understand. A priceless heirloom like that doesn’t deserve to be locked up forever. As you learned in our previous posts, a grandfather clock is extremely fragile. And just like you had to be careful when taking it apart and moving it, you also have to be careful when putting it back together.
If you’re moving your grandfather clock out of storage and back into your home, try out these grandfather clock reassembly tips!
The Top Grandfather Clock Assembly Tips
- Determine Where You Want to Put Your Grandfather Clock: In order to mitigate the chance of damage occurring to your clock, it is important to minimize how much you move your clock. Before you set your grandfather clock back up, make sure that is the exact place you wish to place your clock. While many grandfather clocks will have level feet that can compensate for slightly uneven floor, it is still a good idea to set your clock up on a level surface.
- Put on Cotton Gloves: In order to protect the fragile pieces of the clock from your body oils, make sure to only touch them with cotton gloves.
- Attach the Pendulum: In order to attach the pendulum to the pendulum guide, slip the pendulum hook through the slot. Once the pendulum is secure on the pendulum guide, you are safe to release it.
- Hang the Weights: Before you hang the cables, make sure the cables are on the winding barrels. Each weight will be marked with a left, center or right placement. Hang the weights according to their markings.
- Set the Time: To set the time, only move the minute hand. Move the minute hand counter clockwise until you reach the correct time.
- Start the Clock: In order to start the clock, move the pendulum to the left side and release. Within a few minutes, the clock should be running on its own.
ezStorage is Your Moving and Storage Specialist
We strive to offer you tips to make moving complicated items that much simpler. Moving a grandfather clock is not an easy task, but we hope we helped to make this process easier for you. If you are again faced with the task of storing your grandfather clock, we hope you will consider storing with ezStorage.
ezStorage has storage facilities in the Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD and Columbia, MD area, ready to meet your storage needs. Our storage facilities have storage units that are capable of controlling the climate, making it an ideal storage situation for more sensitive items like a grandfather clock. Are you interested in learning more about a storage unit rental with ezStorage? Contact us today!