The decision to hire professional movers could eliminate much of the stress that accompanies moving day. In some cases, however, you might be better served by renting a moving truck and managing the relocation process yourself. The best way to decide the right option for you is to first identify the pros and cons of hiring movers well in advance of your next move. The list below is designed to help you reach that ultimate conclusion.
Pros of Hiring a Moving Company
- Minimize stress: Carrying boxes and furniture into and out of your home throughout moving day will take its toll on your body. Almost as soon as you are done with the “heavy lifting”, you will then need to start opening all of those boxes to put everything away in your new home. Investing in a moving service can help you avoid that stress and save valuable energy along the way.
- Additional Labor: Nobody can move alone, and it’s not always easy to get your friends and family to volunteer. Hiring a moving company will solve this issue while also ensuring the proper tools, equipment and moving supplies needed for a successful move.
- Valuable Experience: Professional movers understand the best way to load and unload a moving truck. They can not only maximize space to avoid the cost of additional trips, but also load the truck in a way that saves time during the unloading process. This will ultimately help the move go as quickly and safely as possible while keeping you organized along the way.
Cons of Hiring a Moving Company
- Financial Investment: You just invested significant money in a new home along with new furniture and décor, and you might not have the resources available for hiring a moving company. If you have friends and family willing to help you move, you could save money with a rental truck and doing it yourself.
- Personal Touch: Hiring a moving company could sometimes result in damaged items or broken family heirlooms. Movers may be more inclined to rush through their job and break your fragile belongings as a result. By moving yourself, however, you will be more inclined to offer that personal touch to ensure everything will stay in one piece.
- Avoid Moving Scams: Unfortunately, not all moving companies have your best interest at heart. If you don’t spend time doing your research and properly vetting the moving company you hire, you can risk the potential of falling into a moving day scam that could cost you time and money.
If you need additional space in your new home or moving supplies to assist with your move, consider ezStorage. The knowledge professionals on the ezStorage team are available to assist with your moving or storage needs. We have 46 self-storage locations featuring state-of-the-art facilities throughout the Baltimore, Northern Virginia and Washington D.C. areas so you can find the right local storage near you.