Reading Time: 2 minutes
Moving into your first apartment starts an exciting chapter in your life! Whether it’s after graduating from high school and heading to college, or graduating from college and starting your dream job, moving into your first apartment is a big deal. But there are a few key steps you should follow before moving into your first apartment. Check them out below!
Moving into Your First Apartment Checklist
- Know your budget: The biggest mistake you can make when moving into a new apartment is to sign for a lease that’s more than you can afford. As a general rule of thumb, try and keep your rent around 30% of your net income. Additionally, be sure to budget some extra money for utilities.
- Decide which amenities you value: Different apartments will have different features. While you may value the outdoor pool that’s outside, you might not care about the dog park. Ranking the amenities you do and don’t care about will help you to prioritize your apartment search.
- Choose a location: The next step is to choose where you want to live. Whether you want to be close to a unique part of the city, work or campus, choosing a location can help to narrow down your search.
- Tour: Now that you have a better understanding of what you’re looking for and what you can afford, research apart complexes and set up tours.
- Understand the terms of your lease: Before signing your lease, it’s essential that you understand what you’re signing. If you plan on having guests over often, pay attention to the guest policy. Additionally, ensure you’re familiar with the move-out policy. How soon before you want to move out do you need to give a notice? Taking the time to review your lease will ensure you don’t get signed into something you don’t want to be signed into.
Make Room in Your Apartment with a Storage Unit Rental
Apartments are notoriously known for having very little storage space. A storage unit rental can help to keep your space more organized. Instead of trying to fit your heavy winter coats items, out of season lacrosse equipment, old textbooks and more in your closets and drawers, consider utilizing a storage unit rental. A storage unit rental will help to keep your new apartment more organized and clutter-free.
ezStorage has storage facilities all throughout the Baltimore, MD, Washington, DC and Northern Virginia areas. Our storage facilities have many different convenient features, including storage units that can control the climate and drive up storage options. Reserve a storage unit with ezStorage today!