Reading Time: 2 minutes
Have you heard of Marie Kondo? If you own Netflix or enjoy reading books about organizing the home, you likely have! Marie Kondo started the organizational approach called the KonMari Method which has helped many people declutter their home. Are you interested in learning more about Marie Kondo’s organization tips? Read below!
6 Tips for Following the Marie Kondo Method
- Do it all at once: It is often recommended that you work decluttering into your weekly schedule. According to Marie Kondo, this really just prolongs the process. Plan on doing one big tidy up session and getting it all done at one time. As you finish tidying up one category, you will feel motivated to keep going to other areas.
- Visualize the future: When deciding whether to keep or throw out an item, visualize the future. If you do not see yourself using it in the future, you do not need it.
- Focus on categories, not rooms: When decluttering, it is common to go room by room. For example, many people focus on decluttering their bedroom and then move onto the living room. To start out with an easier and non-emotionally loaded category, Marie Kondo recommends starting with decluttering clothes first.
- Only keep items that spark joy: When decluttering, pick each item up and ask yourself if it sparks joy. With this tip, you truly only hold onto the items that make you happy.
- Don’t be afraid to let go of nostalgic items: We all have that old high school sports jersey or box of photos from years past that we choose to hold onto for nostalgic reasons. When you consider the number of items you hold onto because they make you feel nostalgic, the number can be alarming. Don’t be afraid to let go of old, nostalgic items to make room for new memories.
- Fold your clothes in a file system: When you fold your clothes correctly, it’s amazing how many more items you can fit in your drawers. According to Kondo, folding your clothes also reduces the amount of space clothing takes up in your closet and allows you to make room for other items.
Declutter Your Home with a Storage Unit Rental!
If you’re looking to declutter your home but are not ready to get rid of many of your items, consider a storage unit rental. A storage unit rental allows you to store items you want out of your house, but aren’t ready to part with, in a safe and secure location.
ezStorage has storage facilities all throughout Virginia and in major Maryland cities, including Columbia, MD, Washington, DC and Baltimore, MD. Our storage facilities have a variety of sizes of storage units available, including the 5×5, 5×10 and 10×10 storage unit. Reserve your storage unit with ezStorage today!