Reading Time: 2 minutes
It’s time to start thinking about winterizing your jet ski and WaveRunner. While owning a personal watercraft, or PWC, can be fun, they are also very expensive and need quite a bit of care before the off-season. If your jet ski or wave-runner isn’t properly prepared for storage, it might not work correctly when it’s time to retrieve the watercraft from storage. Find the best tips for storing a jet ski and WaveRunner in this post.
How to Winterize a WaveRunner and Jet Ski
- Wash the PWC: Wash the PWC with a solution of water and vehicle safe soap. Use a non-scratch cloth to wipe the watercraft down. If you ride your jet ski in salt water, take special care to ensure that it is clean and salt residue is not present. Salt left on your jet ski can eat away at the paint and corrode metal surfaces. Pay special attention to the bottom of the watercraft where it can get grimy from the water. Once the PWC is clean, allow it time to dry.
- Protect the PWC with Wax: Wait for the jet ski or Wave Runner to dry then buff and wax it with a high-shine protectant car wax.
- Drain the Engine: Drain excess water out of the engine by turning the handle back and forth while the PWC is tilted up on the trailer. Do not run the engine for more than 30 seconds outside of the water to prevent overheating.
- Use a Fuel Stabilizer: Fill up the gas tank and add a fuel stabilizer to prevent the gas from going bad. Run the engine in 30 second intervals to let the fuel stabilizer disperse throughout the engine.
- Disconnect the Battery: Disconnecting the battery will help to protect its longevity. Remove the battery and connect it to a trickle charger.
- Change the Oil: Changing the oil before storing your jet ski or wave runner will make it much easier to get your PWC out at the start of the season.
- Keep all Storage Hatches Open: It is important to allow air to circulate throughout the PWC while it is in storage. Keep any storage doors and hatches open to promote air flow.
ezStorage Has Jet Ski Storage Solutions
Many homeowners’ associations and neighborhoods will not allow you to store your PWC in your yard during the off-season. If you’re looking for a location to store your jet ski or WaveRunner, consider a storage unit rental. A storage unit rental allows you to keep your watercraft out of your yard and in a secure location. ezStorage has storage facilities throughout Baltimore, MD, Columbia, MD, Washington, DC and all throughout Virginia. Reserve your jet ski storage unit today!