The holidays are a big time for couples to get engaged. It is a very exciting time and a special moment that couples will not soon forget. Once the excitement settles down, it is time to start planning that special day. The wedding planning process usually starts 9 to 16 months before the big day. There are many important steps that the couple needs to follow on how to start planning a wedding. There are many websites and magazines that can help the new couple create wedding planning checklists and share wedding planning tips for both big and small weddings.
In order to start making decisions for your wedding day, there are 10 wedding planning tips that you should consider.
10 Wedding Planning Tips
- Start a wedding binder or folder for all of your wedding planning tips, notes and ideas. Go through bridal, lifestyle, food, and fashion magazines for ideas for your wedding. This is a great time to consult Pinterest and get wedding ideas. Add pins to your Pinterest page of wishes and ideas for the wedding day. Pinterest is an amazing reference tool for how to start planning a wedding.
- Attend the wedding shows in your city. The Baltimore and Washington D.C. area has a few major wedding shows in the winter. Wedding shows are great places to gather pamphlets and information from wedding industry vendors and to get ideas for your wedding.
- Determine the budget for your wedding. Include the money that you and your family will contribute to the big day. According www.costofwedding.com, to most weddings in the United States have average costs ranging from $18,900 to $31,500, with the majority of weddings costing less than $10,000.
- Start to work on a guest list. The list will determine the size of the venue that you need. The larger the guest list, the larger the cost. If you are looking to cut costs for your wedding, then a smaller guest list would be the best option.
- Reserve a date and the venue for the big day. The most popular time of year for weddings is May and June, with September and October following closely behind. If you want an outdoor wedding, then it is best to have it during the summer. There are many questions that a couple will need to answer about the actual wedding day. Do you want to have a destination wedding? This would require even more planning and coordinating between the wedding party and guests. Another consideration for the wedding day is if you want to get married in a church or another location? Will the ceremony be held separately than the reception? Is it a daytime or a nighttime wedding? Once you have the day and the venue then you can really start planning the wedding and reception.
- Choose who you would like to have in your wedding party. These family and friends will also be great sources for information on planning your wedding.
- Research photographers, caterers, florists, bands and disc jockeys. The wedding shows are great resources for interviewing local wedding vendors. Ask friends who have recently married for recommendations. Decide if you want to have a band or a DJ for your wedding. A DJ usually costs less than a band and can also act as the master of ceremonies for a wedding.
- Pick an officiant for the wedding. Will you get married in a church or in another venue? The type of ceremony will determine the officiant that you will have.
- Once you have a venue and date set, create a save the date postcard, flyer or an email for wedding guests. The save the date could be a part of the invitation package that you purchase.
- Create wedding planning checklists for every portion of your wedding from dress and tux shopping to the wedding shower wishes (the bridesmaid usually take care of the shower with the bride’s wishes), rehearsal, rehearsal dinner, wedding day and reception. Having a wedding planning checklist will help you track what you have done for your planning and what you still need to do.
Weddings and Self Storage
Getting married is one of many life’s many pivotal events. Couples are combining their lives and their households. If the couple is older, then both bride and groom have household items that will need to be combined. This means that there could be many duplicates in furniture, kitchen appliances and linens. Instead of getting rid of these items, renting a self storage unit is a great solution for household storage. You can place the items in a self storage unit until you decide to keep, sell, donate, throw away or continue to store these items. A self storage unit is also a great idea for storing table displays and favors and other items you will need for the big day. If you need to rent certain items for your wedding that you do not have room for at your home, then store it inside a storage unit until he wedding day.