It isn’t uncommon to make New Year’s Resolutions this time of year. While it is easy to make a New Year’s Resolution, it can be much more difficult to keep one. As the weeks drag on, motivation can run dry. Try out these tips to help you keep your home organization resolutions this year!
Tips for Keeping Your New Year’s Resolutions
- Make Your Goal SMART: We’ve all heard of SMART goals. SMART stands for specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and timely. Using the SMART method of goal setting can help provide structure to goals and make progress easier to track. Instead of setting a goal to organize your house, break the project down into specific goals for each room. In one month, aim to have your living room fully organized. Take before and after pictures to keep you motivated and ensure that what needed to be organized was organized.
- One Item In, One Item Out: During the holiday season, it is easy to acquire a lot of stuff. Set a goal for your family. For every item you received during the holiday season, give one item away. This is a good way to keep your home less cluttered.
- Organize 10-30 Minutes a Day: It can be difficult to find a day or multiple days to devote to organizing your home. Instead, schedule 10-30 minutes of organization into your daily schedulable. This can result in 70 to 210 minutes of home organization accomplished every week.
- Get Your Whole Family in on the Fun: By yourself, it can be hard to stay motivated to achieve a goal. When you have a support system behind you also looking to achieve the goal, it can be much easier to stay motivated. Tell your family that once your kitchen, living room or playroom is organized, you can go see that popular movie or try out the new restaurant down the street.
- Get Rid of Unneeded Items: Be honest with yourself. If you didn’t use the item last year, you most likely will not use it this year. Items that are no longer needed can be donated to a charity, given to a friend, sold online or if they are broken or unusable, thrown out.
Free Up Space in Your Home with a Storage Unit Rental
Sometimes we just need a little more space. If you have discovered that organizing your home isn’t going as expected and you just simply need more room, consider utilizing a storage unit. A storage unit is a smart way to keep your home organized while getting seasonal decorations, clothes and other items that aren’t currently needed out of the way.
Meet Your Resolution of Saving Money this Year with ezStorage
A storage unit rental doesn’t have to break the bank. With ezStorage, we now offer select first month free storage unit rentals. This makes a storage unit rental with ezStorage even more affordable. Are you interested in learning more about a storage unit rental or our other self-storage specials? Contact one of our storage facilities today!