Spend Quality Time with Dad on Father’s Day
There are an estimated 70 million dads across the United States. According to Pew Research, fathers today find it as challenging as women to balance work and family life, and want to play a more active role in their children’s lives. We honor these important figures in our lives every June on Father’s Day, a holiday created just for them. Although Mother’s Day became an official holiday in 1914, the idea of Father’s Day took a little longer to catch on. The general feeling back when the idea was first proposed in 1908 was that “fathers haven’t the same sentimental appeal that mothers have.” A Spokane, Washington woman named Sonora Dodd, one of six children raised by a widower and Civil War veteran disagreed with that opinion and worked to establish an equivalent of Mother’s Day for the fathers. Her idea slowly spread, but it wasn’t until 1972 that Father’s Day became an official holiday after a proclamation signed by Richard Nixon.
Father’s Day Events in Baltimore
In 2016, Father’s Day takes place on Sunday, June 19th. If you’re wondering what to do this year, here are just a few great ways to enjoy Father’s Day in Baltimore with your dad.
Father’s Day Baltimore
- Blue Jays at Orioles game: Head to Camden Yards on Father’s Day in Baltimore to watch the Orioles take on the Toronto Blue Jays – plus, the first 10,000 dads in the gates will get a free Orioles newsboy hat!
- Family Adventure Cruises: On Father’s Day, all dads ride Family Adventure Cruises for free all day! Call to make your reservation and then enjoy an exciting cruise filled with games, songs, blasting the water cannons and a treasure hunt with the Urban Pirates, sailing out of the Ann Street Pier in Fells Point.
- Father’s Day Brunches: Several area restaurants are hosting some amazing brunches and specials just for dear old dad. The Alehouse in Columbia features a brunch with a bottomless bloody Mary, mimosa and Bellini bar, for example, or bring dad downtown to the Capitol Grille for a special bone-in Tomahawk Ribeye steak.
- Hit the green or the driving range: Baltimore is well-known for its amazing golf scene , so why not take dad out for a round of 18 holes? Or, head to a driving range so he can work on perfecting his swing this year.
- Take a one-day trip from Baltimore: Plan a day to visit some of the historic places around the Baltimore area this Father’s Day. There are many venues to hit that are just a short drive away!
Father’s Day Events in Washington, D.C. and Northern Virginia
There’s no shortage of Father’s Day in Washington, D.C. and Northern Viriginia, either! Here are just a few ideas:
Father’s Day Washington D.C.
- Visit one of the top D.C. restaurants: Treat dad to a special dinner at one of the incredible restaurants in the D.C. area. Whether dad enjoys a big steak, some delicious seafood or some tasty craft beer, there are plenty of options to try out!
- D.C. Jazz Festival: The D.C. Jazz Festival runs from June 10 through Father’s Day and features over 90 bands in more than 60 venues throughout the area. If your father is a music buff, he’s sure to enjoy a night out at the Jazz Festival!
- Take a Father’s Day cruise: Spirit Cruises offers special Father’s Day Cruises featuring beautiful views of D.C.’s historic waterfront. Dads not only receive 20% off their tickets, but will also enjoy a buffet and entertainment.
- Visit James Madison’s Montpelier: If dad is a history buff, take him to visit Montpelier , the home of President James Madison, where he’ll receive free admission on Father’s Day. Take a guided tour of the mansion and landscape or stroll through the Landmark Forest.
- Go fishing: Maybe dad would prefer a quiet day on the water, leaving all his responsibilities behind for a few hours. This Father’s Day in the Washington, D.C. area, head to one of the many Northern Viriginia fishing spots.
Happy Father’s Day from ezStorage!
ezStorage is a self-storage company with locations throughout the Baltimore, Northern Virginia and Washington, D.C. areas. Happy Father’s Day to all the hardworking and devoted dads out there!