Reading Time: 2 minutes
As the semester winds down, students at John Hopkins University start to think about moving their items home for the summer. Moving your belongings home for the entire summer just to have to move them back again can be a lot of work. But we’re here to help! Find the top storage tips for John Hopkins University students in this post.
6 Must-Follow College Student Storage Tips
- Determine what will be needed next year: There may be some items in your home that you needed this year that you will not need next year. For example, maybe you brought the dining room table for your current apartment but will be using your new roommate’s table once you move. Any items you will not need next year can either be given away, sold or sent home.
- Separate summer items: Next, sort through your belongings and pull out the items you’ll need during the summer. For example, plan on packing up your school laptop, summer wardrobe, shoes and more to be used during the summer.
- Prepare for storage: There are many items that need to be cleaned and prepped for storage before they can be stored all summer long. It is important to recognize these items and understand how to prepare them for storage. For example, before you can store a couch, it needs to be vacuumed and cleaned to avoid attracting pests or forming mold and mildew.
- Protect fragile items: Are you storing fragile items like dishes, picture frames and more? Wrap these items in bubble wrap to protect them from getting banged around. Additionally, write “Fragile” on the outside of all of the boxes to ensure the boxes are handled carefully.
- Use new boxes: When storing items, it is important to use new boxes. Cardboard boxes absorb the smells from the items they carry. If the boxes were previously used to carry food items, they may attract pest and vermin to your storage unit.
- Use a storage unit that can control the temperature: A storage unit that can control the temperature will help to protect your items from dangerous fluctuations in temperature. When storing books, electronics, clothing and furniture, it is important to use a storage unit that can control the temperature.
Self Storage Units Near John Hopkins University
Are you looking for storage near John Hopkins University? ezStorage has storage facilities just minutes from John Hopkins University, in Charles Village, Ashburton and Highlandtown/Canton! Our storage facilities offer storage units that can control the climate. Reserve a student storage unit today!