Reading Time: 2 minutes
So, you’re considering downsizing your home.
You’re not alone; smaller homes are gaining popularity across the country. You may be wondering what the benefits for downsizing are, and why is downsizing is a good choice for you. Whether you are a young family with kids, a more seasoned family with teenagers, or an older family whose kids have flown the nest, there are many reasons to downsize. In this post, you will find some of the top benefits of downsizing to a smaller home.
5 Benefits of Downsizing Homes
- Less Work Around the Home: Maintaining a home can be a lot of work. Rooms need vacuumed, floors need scrubbed, bed linens need washed and made. It’s simple, if you have less rooms, you’ll have less work. A smaller home will require less time and energy spent to maintain it.
- Allows You to Declutter: A smaller home will not be able to hold the same items your previous home could. While getting rid of a large number of your items can seem very overwhelming, it can actually be liberating. Downsizing your home allows you to get a fresh start and only keep the items that are needed.
- More Family Bonding: When you have a lot of rooms, it’s easy to get into the habit of each member of your family lounging separately in the living room, TV room or their bedroom. But this might mean that you won’t see your family members until it’s time to eat or bed time. Less rooms in your home can actually result in more social interaction in your family
- Cut Back on Expenses: Let’s be honest here, you can’t think about downsizing homes without thinking about the cost-saving benefit. A smaller home will likely be less expensive to purchase and have lower insurance and taxes. A smaller home will also be cheaper to heat, cheaper to cool and result in lower electricity bills. When you buy a smaller home, you will also have less room for frivolous items, resulting in a huge cost savings
- Save for What Really Matters: Finally, a downsized home allows you to save for what really matters to you. Have you always wanted to travel to back pack across Europe? Or retire early? The money you save by living in a smaller home can easily be put into a savings account to be used for what really matters to you.
More Tidy Life Tips
Decluttering can help you feel more comfortable and relaxed in your home, and it won’t cost you a cent. Get more tips for decluttering:
Top 10 Things to Get Rid of When Decluttering Your Home
ezStorage Has Home Storage Solutions
If you’re considering a downsized home but aren’t ready to part with your items quite yet, consider a self storage unit rental. A storage unit allows you to store seasonal or less frequently used items until you need them.
If you need to store a spare TV, leather or wooden furniture, documents or other sensitive items, consider a climate controlled storage unit. A climate controlled storage unit will protect your items from dangerous fluctuations in temperature.
Our storage facilities have 5×5, 5×10 and 10×10 storage units available for rent for you. For smaller storage needs, like seasonal items and a few pieces of furniture, our 5×5 or 5×10 storage unit is ideal. For larger storage needs, consider the 10×10 storage unit. ezStorage has storage facilities in Virginia and the Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD, Columbia, MD area. Rent a storage unit for downsizing your home today!