Reading Time: 2 minutes
Attics are commonly filled with holiday decorations, trunks full of family heirlooms, books, toys, clothing and other items that you don’t even remember storing. Attics can easily become unorganized and cluttered messes. However, once you have decided to do an attic organization project, you will reap the benefits of having extra storage in your home.
Tips for Turning an Attic into Storage Space
Now is a great time for attic organization projects! Here are seven tips on how to organize your attic.
7 Attic Organization Solutions
- Create an Attic Organization Plan: Separate the attic into zones for holiday decorations, clothing or family memorabilia. Keep similar items together so you know where to access them in the future if you need them.
- Declutter, Declutter, Declutter: Sort the items in your attic into categories labeled keep, throw away, donate and place into storage. If you have not used the item within the last year and it does not hold sentimental value, consider donating it or throwing it out. Items that you still want to keep but do not have the space for can be stored in a storage unit.
- Invest in Attic Storage Containers: If you have a larger attic, then it would be a good idea to invest in storage solutions such as shelving and large clear plastic bins. The bins are especially good for storing holiday decorations.
- Label All Boxes: There’s nothing more frustrating than having to dig through boxes until you find the items you are looking for. Avoid this problem by labeling all four sides of the boxes.
- Organize Your Attic Space: Place items that you will not need frequently towards the back of the attic, away from the door. Place the items that you might need more often near the door for easy access.
- Keep Loose Ends Together: Put loose items together in one box or plastic bin. This is a great way to keep toys and collectibles organized as well as to create more storage space in the attic.
- Keep Up with the Organization: Once you have organized the attic, it is important to keep it organized! Check on your attic at least once a month. Don’t treat the attic as “Leave it and forget about it”. Every few months, repeat the cleaning and attic organization process to keep yourself organized!
ezStorage Has Household and Attic Storage Solutions
Unlike basements that can be damp or can flood, attics are dry. But, attics, especially ones that are not insulated, can experience temperature extremes. The higher temperatures and can damage items over a long period of storage. Comic books, videos, DVD’s, CD’s, vinyl records and family photos should not be stored in an attic.
ezStorage has storage facilities in Baltimore, MD, Washington, DC, Columbia, MD and all throughout Virginia with storage units that can control the climate. If you’re looking for storage for books, video games and other smaller items, consider a 5×5 storage unit. For the storage of larger items or multiple rooms worth of items, consider a 5×10 or 10×10 storage unit. Reserve your storage unit today!