Reading Time: 2 minutes
Just like in the spring, it is important to do a good fall cleaning of your home to prepare it for the winter months. Cleaning, prepping and storing outdoor items such as patio furniture, grills and lawn mowers are either done or in process (depending upon the weather), so you can now focus on creating and implementing a fall home cleaning checklist for the inside of the home.
Now is the time to get your home clean and organized before the chaos of the holiday season. Set aside a weekend for fall house cleaning to make sure that the inside of your home is clean and organized for the winter months. We spend more time indoors during the winter, so you want to make sure that everything is clean and fresh.
Fall Home Cleaning Tips
- Create a fall home cleaning checklist for each room in your home. Tackle one room at a time in your cleaning project.
- Focus on cleaning specific high-traffic and highly visited rooms, such as the living room, family room, guest bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Clean the rooms from top to bottom including walls, baseboards and corners, light fixtures and furniture.
- Vacuum drapes and window treatments. Follow manufacturer instructions for deep cleaning window treatments.
- Wash the windows with a glass cleaner. Clean the windows on a cloudy day, so it is easier to see any streaks.
- Clean all bedding including mattress pads, pillows, duvets, blankets and comforters. Change out summer quilts with winter comforters.
- Schedule professional carpet cleaners to clean the carpets before the busy holiday season.
- Clean and organize the kitchen cabinets to prepare for holiday baking and cooking. Dispose of expired food. Stock up on the dry goods that you will need for holiday baking and cooking.
- Check the cleaning supplies under your sink for expired items.
- Clean the refrigerator inside and out. Remove the contents, shelves, rack and bins and wash them with anti-bacterial cleaner. Clean behind the refrigerator and vacuum the condenser coils.
- Have your furnace inspected and replace your furnace filter.
- Have chimneys and fireplaces professionally inspected and cleaned.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Replace batteries in smoke alarms.
- Organize and de-clutter the closets. This is a great time to go through summer clothing and pack them away in storage for the off season. Move winter sweaters and jackets to the front of the closet.
- Spend a day cleaning and organizing the garage. Organize the garage into sections. Move summer garden tools in storage and leave room for snow blowers and most importantly your car!
As you are working through your fall home cleaning checklist, make sure that you have the proper cleaning and organizing supplies. If you are working on decluttering a space as you are cleaning, make sure that you have moving and packing supplies to pack up the items for storage, donation, or to be thrown away. ezStorage has a variety of storage unit sizes in climate and non-climate control that can fit the storage needs for any household.