Just the thought of moving can seem daunting. Packing up all your belongings, transporting them securely to a new home and then unloading everything involves a lot of time and energy. But using a strategic and organized approach will make your move much easier. Follow our tips for moving to help you get ready.
Six weeks before the move
- Contact your insurance agent to ensure your coverage is transferred to your new address
- Keep track of all moving expenses, which may be tax deductible
- Make a list and keep a file with important information and details surrounding your move
- Set aside important documents and valuables that you don’t want packed up
- Call moving companies for a quote and reserve your truck. Hire movers or find friends and family members who are willing to help.
- Consider using temporary storage units if you need to vacate your existing home before your move in date. Or, you may want to use a storage unit to declutter your current home if you are trying to sell it. Having fewer belongings in the home will make for better showings. Using storage for moving can provide you with a place to take your packed boxes and other belongings before your move in date.
- Contact your local utility companies and arrange to have them shut off the day after your move. Also set up installation at your new home. Remember to call:
Four weeks before the move
- Start organizing your move. Determine which items you’ll want to move yourself and which items you’ll need help from professional movers. Also note any belongings you want to throw away or donate.
- Determine if you’ll need additional storage. If you are moving to a new home, you may be concerned about storage, especially if you are downsizing. Self-storage units are a great option because you can move your belongings in and out as you unpack and organize your new home.
- Ensure that you have proper moving boxes and supplies on hand as you begin packing
- Follow these tips for moving when packing:
- Plates are less likely to break if packed vertically like records
- Keep and label any hardware for disassembled belongings in small plastic bags
- Take a picture of any electronic hook ups to help you remember which cords go where
- Use your suitcases, laundry baskets and other bins strategically, filling them with your belongings before you purchase boxes
- Establish a consistent system for your moving and storage efforts. Boxes should be labeled as they are packed with what’s inside and which room they should be unpacked in, and then placed out of the way until your moving day.
Two weeks before the move
- Arrange child and pet care for the day of your move
- Plan to be about half way done with your packing at this point
- Make your last grocery trip so you’ll have fewer food items to move
One week before the move
- Pack up the rest of your belongings, leaving only essentials unpacked
- Place items you’ll need first in clear plastic bags, and put together an overnight bag with items you’ll need the night before and morning of the move
- Defrost your refrigerator at least 24 hours before your moving day
- Cancel any ongoing services such as lawn care, housekeeping, newspaper delivery and pool maintenance and provide them with your new address
- Confirm moving plans and gather any important documentation
Day before and day of move
- Prepare snacks and drinks for moving day, including plenty of water bottles
- Pack bedding and take beds apart
- Place any items the movers aren’t taking into your own vehicle
- Ensure your home is cleaned and nothing is left behind
- Assist in getting your belongings designated for storage and moving to the correct destination. If you’ve hired movers, they’ll be doing the heavy lifting but you’ll still want to be present. If friends and family are pitching in, supervise the loading of the truck.
- Give family members time to say “goodbye” to your old home
Renting a storage unit for moving for the first time? Using a strategic and organized approach will make your move much easier. We’ve created the Ultimate Guide for Renting Your First Storage Unit
, filled with everything you need to know from finding the right storage solution for you to how to properly move and store your belongings.
At ezStorage, our storage professionals are here to answer questions about storage unit moving tips. Stop by one of our many storage facilities near you today!