Our job at ezStorage is to provide you with the best self storage experience at a fair price. In doing so, we’d also like to assist you in making your move easy. To make your move as easy as possible, we recommend the following tips. Use these tips to maximize space in your storage unit
. By maximizing space and staying organized, your move will be smooth and you will save money.
Self-Storage Tips from ezStorage
Take a deep breath and relax. You know you have a lot of items that need moving and your first instinct will be to start packing. Before you go to town, think about your approach.
Before you begin packing for storage, you will need to plan ahead.
Your first step should be to take an inventory of everything you need to store. You do not need to use a notepad for your inventory list.
The key is to ensure you have thought through all the items that you plan on putting into your self-storage unit. Which items need easy access? Which items can go long periods without access? for easy access later.
After the planning phase is complete, follow these steps to ensure self-storage efficiency.
8 Storage Tips and Tricks for Easy Packing
- Start packing for storage: Maximize the use of your storage space while at the same time protecting delicate items. Don’t forget, ezStorage storage units are approximately eight feet (8′) high. Ensure you use all vertical space in your unit to get the most value from it.
- Group all your frequently-used items together: Pack these items last and keep them together in the front of your storage unit. Make sure no heavy items lay on top, or else retrieving will be a puzzle!
- Protect your valuables in transit: Any soft, durable item will work. Lost for ideas? Items we recommend include:
- Bubble wrap
- Any cover designed for your specific items
- Mattress covers
- Old blankets
- Use empty spaces in dresser drawers and appliances: Don’t forget to clean the appliances out first. Dresser drawers a great place to store things like linens, bedding, clothing or even books and CD’s. Remember to leave that drawer open a little so that air can circulate. Also, put all your garden tools together in empty trash cans. By following these self-storage tips you can avoid clutter and maximize space.
- Break down furniture with removable legs and stack chairs: Don’t forget to put a blanket or sheet between surfaces so they do not get scratched or damaged. If you cannot break down a table, make sure you store items underneath and on top.
- Be safe with gas-powered equipment: If you plan on storing any gas-powered equipment, remember to completely drain the fuel and check for any leaks. State laws prohibit the storage of any hazardous or flammable materials.
- Heavy Before Light: While you are stacking items in your self storage unit, make sure to stack the heavier items below the lighter items. • It is also a good idea to write down where you are storing your items in your unit. A map works really well when your loved one asks you to go to ezStorage to get that item they need! Pictures and videos also work great too!
- Keep an Aisle, If Possible: Organize your storage unit so that you have an aisle down the middle from the roll-up door to the back of the storage unit. This will allow you to navigate your space with ease. Don’t forget to keep your frequently-used items at the front of your storage unit.
Packing For Storage Tips
Planning is paramount when packing for storage of your belongings. Make sure you have all the right packing supplies:
- packing materials
- bubble wrap
- furniture covers
If you don’t know how much you’ll need, call your local ezStorage and speak with one of our helpful storage experts. Remember, ezStorage offers a full range of packing supplies at each storage location.
Extra Packing for Storage Tips:
- Correct box size is important. Use large packing boxes for light items (e.g., bedding, linens, lamps). Use small boxes for your heavier items like books, CDs, DVDs and documents.
- Label every box. This may sound obvious but people often think they’ll remember what they store in each box…but they won’t!
- Make sure you take the time to wrap and protect your delicate items. Wrap each dish, glass and any other fragile items. Bubble wrap is excellent for this. Don’t forget to mark on the box ‘FRAGILE’ and ‘THIS SIDE UP.’ Remember: proper packing for storage comes down to the details.
- Keep in mind the weight of the box. Packaged boxes should not weigh more than you can lift. Heavier items should always be at the bottom of the box.
- Use packaging tape to seal each box. Keep the tops of the boxes flat for easier stacking.
- Wardrobe boxes allow you to package up your clothes on hangers. They help keep your clothes from getting wrinkled.
- Remember to take apart bed frames and other furniture (if it allows). Use small plastic bags to hold your hardware and tape the hardware to the furniture.
Follow these self storage tips and tricks, and prepare for a stress-free task. ezStorage storage professionals are here to answer questions about storage unit packing tip. Stop by one of our many locations near: