Our job at ezStorage is to provide you with the best self storage experience at a fair price. In doing so, we'd also like to assist you in making your move ez. With these goals in mind, ezStorage recommends the following tips for packing and organizing your storage units in order to save time and maximize space.
Take a deep breath and relax. You know you have a lot of items that need to be moved and your first instinct will be to just start packing—but don't. Before you begin packing for storage, you will need to plan ahead. Your first step should be to take an inventory of everything you need to store. It doesn't need to be written down but you'll need to think through all the items that you plan on putting into your self-storage unit for easy access later. Then follow the storage tips and tricks detailed below to streamline that process.
Storage Tips and Tricks
• All right, it's time to start packing for storage. Remember, you'll want to maximize the use of your storage space while at the same time protecting your delicate items. Don't forget, ezStorage storage units are approximately eight feet (8') high. Utilize all of the vertical space.
• Group all your frequently-used items together. You will want to pack these items last and keep them together in the front of your storage unit.
• In transit, protect your valuables by using bubble wrap, newsprint and other covers designed for your specific items. Mattress covers work well, as well as old blankets.
• Utilize the empty spaces in dresser drawers and appliances. Don't forget to clean the appliances out first. Dresser drawers a great place to store things like linens, bedding, clothing or even books and CD's. Remember to leave that drawer open a little so that air can circulate. Also, put all your garden tools together in empty trash cans. By following these self-storage tips you can avoid clutter and maximize space.
• Break down furniture with removable legs and stack chairs. Don't forget to put a blanket or sheet between surfaces so they do not get scratched or damaged. If a table can't be broken down, don't forget to store items underneath and on top.
• If you plan on storing any gas-powered equipment, remember to completely drain the fuel and check for any leaks. State laws prohibit the storage of any hazardous or flammable materials.
• While you are stacking items in your self storage unit, make sure to stack the heavier items below the lighter items. • It is also a good idea to write down where you are storing your items in your unit. A map works really well when your loved one asks you to go to ezStorage to get that item they need! Pictures and videos also work great too!
• Lastly, try to organize your storage unit so that you have an aisle down the middle from the roll-up door to the back of the storage unit. This will allow you to navigate your space much more efficiently. Don't forget to keep your frequently-used items at the front of your storage unit.
Packing For Storage Tips
Planning is paramount when packing for storage of your belongings. Make sure you have all the right packing supplies: boxes, packing materials (bubble wrap, newsprint, peanuts, etc.), tape, markers and furniture covers. If you don't know how much you'll need, call your local ezStorage and speak with one of our helpful storage experts. Remember, ezStorage offers a wide array of packing supplies at each of its storage locations.
Tips for Packing for Storage
• Correct box size is important. Large boxes should be used for light items (e.g., bedding, linens, lamps) and small boxes used for your heavier items like books, CDs, DVDs and documents.
• Label every box. This may sound obvious but people often think they'll remember what they store in each box...but they won't!
• Make sure you take the time to properly wrap and protect your delicate items. Individually wrap dishes, glasses and other fragile items. Bubble wrap is excellent for this. Don't forget to mark on the box 'FRAGILE' and 'THIS SIDE UP.' Remember: packing for storage properly comes down to the finest details.
• Keep in mind the weight of the box. Packaged boxes should not weigh more than you can lift. Heavier items should always be placed at the bottom of the box.
• Use packaging tape to securely seal each box. Keep the tops of the boxes flat for easier stacking.
• Wardrobe boxes allow you to quickly package up your clothes on hangers. They help keep your clothes from getting wrinkled.
• Remember to take apart bed frames and other furniture that can be disassembled. Use small plastic bags to hold your hardware and tape the hardware to the furniture.
By following these self storage tips and tricks, preparing and moving into your next self-storage unit will be a stress-free task. ezStorage storage professionals are on-hand to answer questions about self-storage and storage unit packing tips you may have. Stop by one of our 45 locations in the Baltimore, Washington, D.C. and Northern, Virginia area today to learn more.