Organization is vital for effective use of a self-storage unit. Not only will having an organized unit make it easier to find belongings if you need them, but it will also help you use your space more efficiently. To help you get started, we included storage unit organization ideas and best practices below on how to plan, pack and ultimately implement an effective storage unit organization strategy.
Storage Unit Organization Planning
Before you start packing up your items, take an inventory of everything you plan to store. This will help you prioritize what to pack and where to store it. Looking at everything you are storing will help you plan out your packing methods, too. Identify awkwardly sized and shaped items that won’t fit into a box and won’t stack well. Consider where to place these items while organizing a storage unit that fits your needs. . You can also mentally start grouping together like items that can be packed together. Remember that heavier items should be stored at the bottom of stacked boxes.
How to Organize a Storage Unit
Once you have figured out what will be stored and the size of the unit needed, you’ll need to put your belongings inside your storage unit. Labeling storage boxes and keeping an inventory of what is stored, and where, will be tremendously helpful later on. ezStorage offers storage boxes and packing supplies to help keep your items organized.
Rotating your storage items will help you make better use of your space while helping to preserve your items. For example, after the holiday season you can move all of your holiday decorations to the back of your unit, while you’ll need to bring lawn mowers and swim gear towards the front as spring and summer start. It’s up to you to decide how often you’ll need to rotate your belongings, but consider doing this at least every few months. Many people use the change in the seasons as a reason to rotate.
Step-By-Step Tips for Organizing a Storage Unit
- Step No. 1: Identify the best storage unit size for your needs
- It’s better to have too much space than not enough. Make a list of everything you will be placing in your storage unit and talk with our friendly storage experts for help with storage unit organization ideas.
- Step No. 2: Write down your storage unit organization plan
- Consider which items you will need to access frequently while in storage, those will be placed near the front. If you are storing kitchen appliances or furniture, plan to store these items in the back of the unit. Layout everything else in between and be sure to stick to your plan during move-in.
- Step No. 3: Pack and label your items for storage properly
- Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and best practices for packing large items like appliances and furniture. Also be sure to label all of your boxes in a manner that allows for quick and accurate identification.
- Step No 4: Follow your organization plan when moving into your storage unit
- It’s important to avoid having the move-in process become a haphazard process. Be sure to follow the plan that you wrote down and keep your items organized as you are placing them into the storage unit.
Storage Unit Organization Ideas
If you have additional storage questions, remember that our on-site experts can help. From offering storage organization ideas on the best packing supplies to suggestions for where to place those awkward items, the staff at ezStorage is here to assist. Stop by any of our 46 locations throughout Maryland, Virginia, and Washington D.C. to help you get started with your storage unit organization process.