The main purpose of a garage is protect cars, trucks, motorcycles or boats from the elements. However, for most people it has become a place to store excess holiday or seasonal decorations, sporting equipment, toys, lawn equipment, etc. Some people have never been able to park their cars in their garages because it has become a secondary storage room. There are many garage storage solutions to assist with organizing your garage area and use it for the purpose for which it was built.
The garage is just like any other room in a home, it should be organized and have a daily function. As with any home organization project, it is important to have a plan in mind before organizing and cleaning the garage.
Garage Organization Tips
As you are putting together your garage storage ideas, create a diagram of the space and split it into zones for specific uses, such as seasonal storage, food storage or actual vehicle storage. Everything that you place in the garage should have a specific home, instead of everything being piled into a corner. Group similar items together within each of the zones that you create, for example keep your gardening tools, summer toys and tools together in one area and not spread out in the garage. If you have a freezer or store food in your garage, these items should be closer to the door of the home for easy access. During the summer, children’s toys and summer lawn equipment should be closer to the front of the garage for easier access for the entire family.
Garage Cleaning Tips
Every organization project needs to start with a clean slate. Begin by clearing out the garage completely. Sweep and wash down the floors. If there are oil stains on the floor, treat them with sawdust or cat litter. Make sure that you sweep and clean out all the corners of the garage. Sort through the items that you have removed from the garage into the following piles: keep, place in storage, throw away, donate or sell.
Tips for How to Organize a Garage
Once you have all of the items out of the garage, it is time to organize and group similar items together. If you keep things in your garage organized then you will be able to find them when you need them. There are many garage storage ideas such as shelving and pegboards that are vital parts of a garage organization plan. As you are putting your garage back in order here are just a few garage organizing ideas:
- Before putting items back into the garage, check them for damage and which ones might need to be repaired before using them again.
- Move potentially hazardous materials to a locked storage area away from children and animals.
- Put up shelving for even more garage storage solutions. Purchase plastic bins for children’s toys, gardening equipment and pet items.
- Use as much vertical space as possible in the garage by installing pegboards and hooks. If you are storing tools in your garage, then hang them up on a pegboard.
- A great garage storage idea is to hang bikes, ladders and other equipment from the walls and ceiling of the garage to get them off of the floor.
- Clearly label the contents of any boxes and bins that you use for storage in the garage. This is especially true for a workshop with screws, nuts, bolts and other materials.
Storing Garage Items in Self-Storage
Self storage is a great option for storing extra items from a garage, including seasonal items such as lawn mowers, patio furniture, snow blowers and gardening tools. All of these items take up a lot of room in a garage. If your garage plan doesn’t include (or you don’t have room for) seasonal items such as holiday lawn decorations, wreaths, or artificial Christmas trees storage, then consider renting a unit to place these items in a secure place. ezStorage has a variety of self-storage unit sizes that can help you free up space in your garage. Stop by any of our ezStorage self-storage locations to pick up moving and packing supplies and to find the best storage unit for your household storage needs.